Monday, March 21, 2016

A light frost last night

Today is the 21st of March and we had a light frost last night. The temp was 34 when I got up this morning but must have dipped lower at some point last night. The Irish potatoes at the far western end of the row show some slight damage but not enough to outright kill them. I hope. The ones at the beginning of the row show no damage at all. It's a good thing that I closed the lid on the cold frame yesterday evening or all of the tomato and bell peppers that have come up from last years seed would have surely not made it. Last Friday brother and I made a trip to Mansura to pick up his car from the mechanics shop and on the way home I picked up some transplants from the local nursery. I got 6 Cherokee purple, 6 Creole, and 6 cherry tomatoes. As well as 6 egg plant and 6 bell peppers. The ones in the cold frame are not quite ready to be put out. Funny how I always end up with too many plants and not enough space in the garden.
The corn is up and shows no damage from the frost and really is probably ready for a side dressing of fertilizer. I'll probably hit the beets and carrots with some at the same time. Ineed to hill up the potatoes also. I am going to try using the mulch that I got from the molding shop for this an see how it work out. Some of the potatoes that I planted late summer last year were planted in this mulch an did pretty good. I had several folks tell me that it wouldn't work  but the potatoes didn't seem to know that. They didn't get real big, about the size of a tennis ball, but tasted just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment