Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Naming the farm

Well it seems like everyone who has a blog about their small farm or homestead has a neat name for it. This is how I came to name ours Mulberry Farm. We moved into the new place on January 15, 2015. Well it's new to us. The house has been here for at least 40 years that I can tell and maybe more than that. It once belonged to a fellow that was a distant cousin to my grand mother on dads side of the family. I didn't know this when we first looked at the property. But that's not why I decided to call it Mulberry Farm.
Just this past Monday while I was cutting the grass and making circles around a large decaying tree in the back yard I noticed little green, red, and black fruit hanging from one of the twig like branches about eye level. I stopped the mower and looked up into the living branches of the tree and was astounded to see loads of mulberries in various stages of ripening. This is the same tree that I wanted to cut down just a few months ago due to the sad shape of its branches. When the ornamental pear trees bloomed and this one didn't I figured it was dead. Little did I know that it was just waiting for some warmer weather to show its true colors. This tree is about 30 inches in diameter where comes out of the ground it's one of the biggest mulberry trees that I've ever seen.
Sure glad I didn't cut it down. Now if I could just find a way of invigorating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment